Nationals 2020 Cancelled
Kia Ora - Gymnastics Community of New Zealand.
What surreal and challenging times we all live in at the moment, times I’m sure none of us envisaged a few weeks ago. This is requiring all of us to exercise understanding and patience with each other, as we all work through the various implications of Covid-19. I hope that things are going well in your ‘bubble’ and I wanted to share with you a few things that have been going on in ours.
Since the introduction of the Alert Level system to manage Covid-19, and the subsequent nation-wide lock-down, Gymnastics NZ has been reviewing a range of scenarios relating to events and the impacts this huge disruption has had on the events calendar.
After careful consideration of possible scenarios and the potential impacts, benefits and challenges these present, the Board passed the following motion at its meeting of April 8:
“The board moved that the 2020 Nationals be cancelled and that the 2020 events calendar is analysed and where possible is altered to accommodate a modified events calendar for 2020.”
This was based on the following rationale:
- Athlete, Coach well-being – ensuring that athletes and their coaches have an appropriate amount of time to prepare for qualification events and an adequate qualification season is not likely to be possible. Once the current alert level is lowered, there will continue to be limits to accessing gymnastics clubs, training and holding events which leave considerable uncertainty around when a qualifying period would be able to start.
- Financial implications - putting clubs at the centre of decision-making by focusing on a modified endorsed event calendar rather than Nationals. This gives clubs opportunity to shift focus from Nationals in Term 3 to a modified endorsed events calendar, and also gives clubs an opportunity to bring in much needed event-based revenue.
- Provinces – Limit the financial loss for member clubs and provinces as most deposits/payments that are already in place for an Auckland 2020 Nationals should be able to be transferred to 2021.
- Venue availability - The Trust Arena in Auckland is not available to hold Nationals in Term 3 school holidays. A postponed 2020 Nationals would have needed to be moved to an alternative location. A recent government advisory has raised the possibility of changes to future holiday dates for 2020 which creates added risk to future bookings.
Based on this, the following decisions have also been made:
- The 2021 New Zealand Gymnastics Championships will be held at The Trust Arena in Auckland in the July School holidays. 2021 dates are being worked through and will be released as soon as possible in an official 2021 New Zealand Gymnastics Championships announcement.
- The 2020 NZ GfA Club Championships will be cancelled, returning to Auckland in the October School holidays in 2021.
- The Endorsed and Non-Endorsed Events season is currently on hold. It will be reviewed in collaboration with Technical Committees over the coming weeks, as the Covid-19 restrictions become clearer.
- It should be clear that ALL events (endorsed, non-endorsed, GfA and Schools events) are on hold and will not be rescheduled at this time. Official GNZ confirmation of a reworked events schedule will come once the calendar review is complete.
While this is not a decision we ever wanted to make, and we appreciate that these decisions and outcomes may create challenges for clubs, we hope however that this provides certainty for the year ahead allowing clubs to move forward with their financial and operational planning.
The Events Team is available to discuss this with clubs and will communicate further details as soon as they are available.